Wednesday 15 June 2011

Beginnings.


This is a backside view of what will be my kiln shed. In the background is an old grainery I have converted into a pottery shop.




My Dad and I along side of the beginnings of the kiln shed.


Here is the newest member of my household. Her name is Irene. She is a great companion.

Building a kiln is a big step for any potter, and I am feeling the pressure as a young potter living in Seagrove. Although it is a big task I am very excited to be putting down some roots as a potter in my home state. I have been planning and sketching for my kiln for a long time and now have a large hole along with a yard full of bricks to build this puppy. Being a journeyman is great, but it is time to make working for myself and this kiln the priority.
I have decided to go with a kiln that is around 300 cubic feet. It is big enough to be worth firing up and small enough for a quick turn around which enables me to learn and grow as a craftsman quickly. The kiln is big enough for me to fit large scale work inside of which is something I am excited about since they are some of my favorite pots to make.
I hope you enjoyed the update. There are many new things happening here at my new place in Seagrove. Thanks for reading and keep following because there are many new and exciting updates to come!
Brad
 

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with it Brad. Let us know if you need some help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the one with your Dad on the bucket and it's always a good idea to keep the fan on in the 'Grove!

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking good, i will be down in Nc this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is Summer. Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes to you! So great to see you out there with your dad! It will be great to follow your progress. Keep digging that clay! You will find the right mix if you experiment enough!
    You will also find yourself unconsciously looking at construction sites wondering if they are wasting good clay that could be turned into nice pots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely site to build kiln.Love to see when it's done,and looking forward to see the outcome from your kiln.Mean while you can have look at http://www.potterymarket.co.uk/,they have large varieties of pottery,decorative and gifting items.

    ReplyDelete