I just figured all the new pots I posted earlier were pretty big. The little ones are beautiful too so I figured you would like to see those as well. Even the little jar pictured is about the size of one of the mugs.
Wednesday, 17 June 2009
I really like the shape on this pot, but the yellow glaze did not turn out quite right, but I figured I would post it anyway.
Large ash glazed jar with some slip trailed flowers on it.
Hope you enjoy the new ones!! If you are interested in buying one please let me know.
This is the first grave marker I have ever made. I was inspired after going to Mark Hewitt's place a while back. I also made a somewhat similar piece for a fountain that was requested by a man that attends my church. I will have to post about that some time soon.
Another one of my composites.
These files are quite big so I could only load 3 at a time. I have a few of the best ones I will show though. This one above is a planter. The salt did a little better than I thought working with the alkaline glaze.
I have not done much manganese before, but this particular one turned out just the way I wanted it to. It got super salty and got some nice texture.
I went a little composite crazy on this firing. I made a whole bunch of them just because I thought they were fun to make. Hopefully they will sale so I can make some more.
Thursday, 11 June 2009
I spent the last half of this week wadding, loading and firing pots. Martha, Doug, and I finished salting the kiln at around 12 am. I chose to let the kiln cool fairly rapidly to around 1800 in order to achieve some shiney surfaces. Looking in there at the last minute I could see what looked like some pretty nice surfaces. This load of pots is probably the best lookig load I have ever made and I am extremely anxious to see what they look like. I made the big pot with a coil and throw method and it is around 30 inches tall. I am excited to see what happens with it as well as make some more that are bigger some time soon.
This is the front shelf stack packed to the ceiling. I have a number of clay body tests in this kiln load that I really hope work. If they do then I may be digging a whole bunch of clay very soon. I also have the first fountian I have ever made and designed in the kiln, but you cannot see it on account of it being in the back. It was a request from a man who goes to my church. Hopefully it did not crack.
I start Penland at the beginning of the week after next. I am extremely excited. Especially after seeing all the fun Ron Philbeck is having by looking at his blog. maybe I will make some penland posts while I am gone there. I am going to try and take some good photos before I leave of these new pots that hopefully come out well. I will try and get some of those up here.
Talk to ya later.